TU Wien is Austria's largest institution of research and higher education in the fields of technology and natural sciences. With over 26,000 students and more than 4000 scientists, research, teaching and learning dedicated to the advancement of science and technology have been conducted here for more than 200 years, guided by the motto "Technology for People". As a driver of innovation, TU Wien fosters close collaboration with business and industry and contributes to the prosperity of society.
The Faculty of Informatics, one of the eight faculties at the TU Wien, is among the top ranked faculties of Informatics in Europe, with more than 70 professors on all career levels and a strong focus on research excellence. The main areas of research include Computer Engineering, Logic and Computation, Visual Computing & Human-Centered Technology, as well as Information Systems Engineering.
The open position forms the core of an independent research group within the Institute of Computer Engineering in the Faculty of Informatics, with the opportunity to also contribute to our well-established collaboration with the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology.
The successful candidate will have an outstanding research and teaching record in the field of Computer Networks with particular emphasis to at least two of the following research topics:
- Networking architectures and protocols
- Networked cyber-physical systems
- Wireless Communication Systems
- Wireless Sensor Networks
- Intelligent networks, networking automation
- Network functions virtualization
- Software-defined networking
- AI in networking
- Network analytics
- Dependability, security and robustness
- Quality of service
- Network performance and scalability
- Real-time in networking/Time sensitive network
Besides research, the duties of a Full Professor at the TU Wien include graduate and undergraduate teaching (in English and German) as well as contributing to usual management and faculty service tasks.
- Completed doctoral or PhD studies in the field of Computer Science or a related area from a domestic or equivalent foreign university or research institution
- Qualification for teaching (venia docendi) acquired at a domestic or equivalent foreign university or an academic qualification recognizable as being equivalent to the venia docendi
- Outstanding scientific reputation, proven by publications in internationally prestigious scientific conferences and journals, patents, awards, scientific lectures, editorial and scientific expert work, organization of conferences, etc.
- Excellent reputation as an active member of the international scientific community
- Experience in the acquisition, execution, and management of research projects
- Ability and willingness to manage a research group
- Pedagogical skills for academic teaching in German and English
- In case there is no adequate knowledge of German, willingness to quickly learn German is presupposed for teaching in bachelor programs and participating in the management of the institute and the faculty as well as in university bodies
- Experience in the supervision of scientific work of students, such as bachelor, diploma and master theses as well as dissertations
- Social and gender competence as well as experienced in the promotion of young researchers and the advancement of underrepresented students/colleagues/employees
- On-site presence is expected
- Excellent working conditions where nothing is far from anything else, where people feel safe and can make meaningful connections with one another in an attractive research environment
- Access to excellent computational facilities including GPU clusters
- Attractive compensation combined with a supplemental retirement benefit program sponsored by the employer and further benefits (see also: Fringe-Benefit Catalogue of TU Wien)
- Financial support of research activities in the first years (e.g., equipment endowment/start-up funds)
- Permanent funding for supporting research and teaching
- Support in moving to Vienna (if required)
- Dual career advice: we offer partners and families of the university professors appointed to TU Wien various support opportunities tailored to their situation
- An employee-friendly environment in a city with an extraordinarily high quality of life
TU Wien is committed to increasing the proportion of women in particular in leadership positions. Female applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to women when equally qualified, unless reasons specific to a male applicant tilt the balance in his favour.
People with special needs are equally encouraged to apply. In case of any questions, please contact the confidant for disabled persons at the university, Mr. Gerhard Neustätter.
Classification in the A1 category of the collective bargaining agreement for employees of universities and a full-time minimum salary of EUR 89.075,00 gross annual is provided. Furthermore, on top of the employee benefit fund, a company pension scheme will be set up for employees, depending on the duration of their employment, with the result that personnel benefits will increase. A higher salary depending on qualifications and experience is subject of appointment negotiations as well as detailed information about benefits. General information can be found at the following links:
Applications in English must include at least the following documents:
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents by April 4th, 2024.
- Detailed curriculum vitae (complete with professional and academic background)
- Detailed motivation letter
- Presentation of previous academic activities including a list of research and development projects carried out and of funding/grants raised (volume, duration, funding body, etc.), a list of patents, awards, editorial and scientific expert work, organized conferences, etc., as well as a list of lecturing and teaching activities evidenced by a list of the university courses held so far, a list of supervised scientific works of students (such as bachelor theses, master theses as well as doctoral theses), and a list of invited lectures
- Research and teaching concept with considerations on the future positioning and further development of the field of Computer Networks (3-5 pages each)
- List of publications and copies of the five most important publications related to the position
- Please upload a document of maximum three pages with the following headings under the category: +Add more documents
- Overall impact on your research field – describe the impact of your research and related activities on your field of research
- Relevance and impact of the five most important publications submitted – describe the relevance to the position and the impact of each of the five most important publications provided
- Impact outside of academia – describe impacts and benefits of your research and related activities outside of academia, such as commercial and societal outcomes
- We kindly ask you to download the datasheet "Computer Networks" and upload it filled in under the category: +Add more documents
- Please upload relevant certificates and official letters under the category: +Add more documents